When my wife and I purchased our first home just over 10 years ago, I thought the only place I could get a mortgage was the bank. Surprise, surprise! Read more to learn what options you have in a Home Mortgage.
When my wife and I purchased our first home just over 10 years ago, I thought the only place I could get a mortgage was the bank.
3 Options for Obtaining a Home Mortgage
1) Banks - Banks are probably your easiest option and the most well known for getting a mortgage.
2) Brokers - If you are looking for a more personalized approach to your mortgage needs then a mortgage broker is the better way to go. Mortgage brokers find the best deal for you. Your new home builder or local real estate agent can recommend a broker to you.
3) Correspondents - "Correspondent mortgage lenders originate and fund loans in their own name, then sell them off to larger mortgage lenders, who in turn service them, or sell them on the secondary market." (Sources: www.thetruthaboutmortgage.com).
- Do your Research.
- Don't take short cuts in obtaining a mortgage.
- Properly evaluating your options may save you thousands of dollars in interest over the life of your mortgage.
- Don't over extend yourself when obtaining a mortgage. Learn to live within your means.
Photo from: iStock